[Foundation-l] Legal implications of hosting wikis outside of United States?

Dori slowpoke at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 13:32:46 UTC 2005

On 8/3/05, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
<snip>
> What would be the legal implications of serving some content from
> outside of the United States, in comparison to merely running them
> through a local caching proxy?

Probably censorship. I remember the hassles Google and Yahoo had to go
through because of French laws. Believe it or not the US probably
still has the "freer" speech out there. I suppose it would be OK if we
could move them back to the US in case of trouble. Which would mean
not having the local chapters associated with the content somehow. At
the very least some lawyer out there should make sure the GFDL is fine
in the proposed hosting country.