[Foundation-l] Board elections : some thoughts

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 22:55:21 UTC 2005

Thank you for your interesting analysis, Andre

On 5/1/05, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:
>  (top 16 Wikipedia languages;
> numbers are number of editors, number of voters, and the second as a
> percentage of the first):

I would like to add another (more recent) index, caliculated by
BjarteSorensen from Erik Zachte's stats: square (active editors [5+
edits in a month] * article counts). I call it "WMF activity index",

> French  321  89  28% 9425.6
> Finnish 33   5   15% 1754.4
> Norse 27  3  11% 1590.6
> Italian 69  7 10% 3174.9
> German 1613 145 9% 25048.5
> English 2746 238 9% 61466.5
> Dutch 191 16 8% 5118.8
> Chinese 143 11 7% 2579.9
> Esperanto 44 3 7% 994.5
> Polish 124 8 6% 4989.5
> Swedish 98 6 6% 3824.4
> Danish 67 4 6% 1359.4
> Japanese 360 18 5% 8693.8
> Spanish 123 6 5% 4133.8
> Hebrew 69 3 4% 1691.7
> Portuguese 67 0 0% 2791.1

The order of high score projects are a bit differe from rank by
article numbers. Remarkable differences are on this index
-Fr is over Ja (9425.6pt vs 8693.8)
-Es is over Sv (4133.8 vs 3824.4)
-Ru with 17K articles and He with 18K over four projects with over 20K
articles; more over Ru doesn't appear in the Andre's original list.

Generally we can say active projects are more involved into grobal
matters. There are some exception, of course. I expect some of them
will volunteers to organize translation to involve more users than in
the last year.

Besides those, there are some projects or language communities which
seem to be possible to be more involved. Specially I think so for less
than 5% vote rate projects; that is, Japanese, Spanish, Hebrew and
Portuguese. I would like to add Russian because they are relatively
rare in our grobal community. Is any Japanese, Spanish, Hebrew or
Prtuguese editors who would like to oversee the translaion?

Now we call for translators and their coordinators on meta.
Translation cooridnators will care for
-Notice translation
-Candidate profile translation  (I agree Erik; profile up to 1000
words seems fine)
-FAQ from/to their favorite language

If you are interested in supporting vote organisation and promotion,
please list yourself on meta,
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Election_notice_translations_2005
and please don't be suprise if the organiser team will contact you
personally. when nobody apply this task. ;-)

Cheers,

--
Aphaea@*.wikipedia.org
email: Aphaia @ gmail (dot) com