[Foundation-l] Board elections : some thoughts

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 18:50:14 UTC 2005

On 4/30/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Second, the participation rate of languages have been very diversed.
> English participants represented a huge number of voters.
> German were second and french third. Other languages had basically not
> participated but for a very few people.
> Link : http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image%3AElection_participation2.png

I don't agree with the conclusion you draw from this graph. The
English and German Wikipedias are much larger than those in other
languages, so it's only to be expected there will be more votes coming
from those. Taking the number of active editors in April 2004 as my
measure, I find that French participation is remarkably large, but
English and German is not much more than would be expected from a fair
division over the languages. In numbers (top 16 Wikipedia languages;
numbers are number of editors, number of voters, and the second as a
percentage of the first):

French  321  89  28%
Finnish 33   5   15%
Norse 27  3  11%