[Foundation-l] Chinese Wikinews: board action required

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 20:32:24 UTC 2005

On 4/16/05, Yann Forget <yann at forget-me.net> wrote:
> I advocate blocking projects when there is no real activity until one or
> several volunteer(s) come(s) It would prevent them being squatted by spammers
> like the Slovak Wiktionary recently (21 articles).
>
> This was already proposed some time ago and a page was made on Meta in order
> to have a general overview of the situation. However AFAIKno action was
> taken.

I created the Inactive wikis page
(<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Inactive_wikis>) for this, but I'm
not sure now whether I agree with what I proposed there. It was never
clear whether one person requesting a wiki to be locked or unlocked
was enough, or whether there ought to be more of a procedure for this.
Very few wikis were ever locked as a result of this proposal, though I
don't know how much of this was related to the objections to the
procedure and how much was just due to a lack of motivation by the
stewards to lock these wikis.

Spam and vandalism at inactive wikis can be reported at
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Vandalism_reports>.

Angela.