[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikinews-l] Chinese Wikinews: board action required

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 04:19:50 UTC 2005

There's no consensus within the board either. In a discussion last
month, Anthere said the Chinese community should decide, I said the
whole community should decide, Tim Shell said it should be started,
Jimbo said it shouldn't, and Michael Davis didn't respond to my email
about it.

Considering the complete split of opinions, both in the original vote,
the recent Chinese vote, and within the board, I think we need to
consider alternative options to the simple question of whether we
start it or not. One solution could be for Wikimedia to support the
project being hosted elsewhere without it being an official Wikimedia
project, if any of the supporters of the project wanted to find
alternative hosting for it. It wouldn't be able to use the Wikinews
trademarks, but would mean that those who want to work on it could do
so, and if there is ever a consensus for the project within Wikimedia,
we could move it back here then.

Angela