[Foundation-l] copyright question about data

Edward Peschko esp5 at pge.com
Mon Apr 11 23:03:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:42:31AM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Soufron wrote:
> As far as I understand it, these figures would be derivative works from
> public domain works... and their author would get copyright !

But that's what I don't understand. Look at the back of any decent
research book. Take for example, 'the prize'. It acknowledges over 500
sources - copyrighted and non - and includes many graphs from what I assume
is data that came from them.

If the strict interpretation of copyright here is true, then nobody could
get anything done. There has to be a clause allowing for derivative works
that contain elements of original works, but have value added to them. But I'm
having a very tough time putting my finger on the line between what is allowable
and what is not..

Ed