[Foundation-l] Wikistats for all Wikimedia projects

Erik Zachte e.p.zachte at chello.nl
Sat Apr 2 13:39:11 UTC 2005

Daniel:

>> But why is everything at en.wikipedia.org?
>> Wikimedia.org would make a great deal more sense.

Aphaea:

> Or wikimediafoundation.org ?

This is partly for historic reasons. Wikipedia and Wiktionary stats were
already placed at en.wikipedia.org, so I just extended that scheme for other
projects.

Moving the stats now would break a lot of links, not all links on wikipedia
pages are to the sitemap pages, so I guess each html file would need a
separate redirect?

Similarly why is common.wikipedia.org not named common.wikimedia.org? Other
Wikimedia projects can benefit from a shared resource pool as well.

I guess these small inconsistencies are a fact of life. I can live with it,
but if redirecting all existing links is easy, I don't mind moving all stats
either.

Erik Zachte