[Foundation-l] Interwiki Cooperation; NSK

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Oct 28 08:16:01 UTC 2004

NSK wrote:

>On Wednesday 27 October 2004 22:33, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>Wikisource has agreed to accept dissertations, but for the protection of
>>the GFDL we do ask that those people identify themselves.
>>

>I do support GFDL but I doubt I would allow commercial exploitation and
>modification of my dissertation, unless you can offer me very good arguments
>in support of this.

I was only pointing out that the option was available.  Although
Wikisource documents are open to be edited, very little substantive
editing of texts actually happens.  Commercial exploitation can happen,
but the exploiters also have to follow the GFDL rules.  They have no
right to claim that they have the copyright on your dissertation.

>Has Wikimedia examined other licensing options? I know there are many people
>who mostly support CC et cetera.

The subject comes up from time to time, but the difficulty is obtaining
permissions to change the licensing for existing articles.  Many of the
contributors are no longer available, or anonymous.