[Foundation-l] Re: Wikijunior - Wikispecies, Mk 2?

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Oct 26 15:52:00 UTC 2004

I would like to thank Danny for writing the Wikijunior grant application.
It is a project I am very interested in, because it fits so neatly into
our mission.

I would also like to thank Ambi for sharing her concerns, which I find
valid, and which I believe merit discussion.

Part of the reason people are reluctant to be very open about certain
things is that discussions can become literally endless, with no goal
being achieved. So what I believe we need are clear procedures how to get
community input on issues and making decisions. I hope the Wikinews case
can, in some ways, serve as a precedent when it comes to starting new
projects.

When it comes to matters where leaks would be dangerous, I think we should
try to find a wiki-like solution. One option would be a private wiki or
mailing list, where anyone can apply to become a member and existing
members decide, a la WP:RFA, whether the user is trusted enough or not.
New members have to swear a blood oath of secrecy and participate in
various special rites which involve hamsters. Joking aside, I think the
members could keep an eye on each other and try to determine when the
right point to go public has been reached. The existence of this place,
the procedure for joining and its purpose could be open and well known -
potential grant givers will understand why we are doing this.

The same place might also be home to a permanent log of the #wikimedia
channel, so that nothing gets lost among us.

This process is, by the way, very similar to the one that will be used for
the email ticket system, so maybe the rules could be identical. To prevent
it from turning into a cabal, these rules need to be fair and open.

Wikimedia is growing up, and at each step along the way we can decide
whether we will do things in the traditional, conservative way, or in a
more open, progressive away. I think whenever we are about to go for
something traditional, we should pause and reflect whether there might not
be a better option.

Now, I apologize if the cabal already exists, but it's your fault for not
inviting me in.

Regards,

Erik