[Foundation-l] Re: Wikijunior - Wikispecies, Mk 2?

Rebecca misfitgirl at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 07:17:49 UTC 2004

Of course we need money - but this was a specific grant for a project
which, like Wikispecies, was not previously on the agenda, and if it
had been discussed at all, had received negative responses. It's not a
small thing, and would resemble a significant fork. So, considering
this - and considering what Wikinews is currently going through - and
Wikiversity will soon have to - in the aftermath of the Wikispecies
fiasco, I'm a little bemused that this is being given the same
treatment as was so controversial with Wikispecies.

If Wikimedia is going to be applying for grants, it'd be nice to see,
as happened with the NEH grant, discussions over whether we actually
want to go for said grant, and if we are prepared to meet the
conditions that that would entail. In that case, it was decided -
largely by the community - that the proposal wouldn't go ahead - and
that one didn't involve a considerable fork of the project.

-- ambi