[Foundation-l] French domain lost

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 04:58:18 UTC 2004

Just for an update (though I am not quite sure anyone care here), the
french domain name is not in the hand of OVH but quite certainly of a
cybersquatter (in relation with OVH).

The phone number he offered for registration is not valid (it is
normally mandatory, but the phone number does not exist).

The mail address is of a rather "special" profile : blaguekoihoo at aol.com
(blague means joke in french).

We can't understand how he could register, since the .fr domain can only
be registered by a firm or an organisation, which was why we had to wait
till the association will be created... in possibly 2 weeks from now :-(

If it had been squatted by a firm, we could have thought of using "bad
press" to negociate with them.
With a private person... well, we might have only the legal path.

In any cases, Notafish has volunteered to get information on the matter.

She send yesterday the person an email.

-----

For now, the wikipedia.fr is not redirected anywhere.
We'll keep hope it won't be used for nazi propaganda, hard porn or
worse, a biaised encyclopedia named wikipedia :-(