[Foundation-l] wikimedia conference, round two

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Oct 19 11:03:00 UTC 2004

Elisabeth-
> It was hard (and very sad :-(, for my part) to sort out the Eastern
> European cities, main reasons for this decision were that there are not
> enough local people to help and the difficult travel situation for
> people from overseas even when the offers looked very beautiful.

There should be no reason for sadness. The criteria you listed are very
important for what is to be a world-wide meetup. However, given that the
Romanian Wikipedia in particular has put a lot of effort into this, I
think they would be a prime candidate for a "Wikimedia Eastern Europe"
meetup. Wikimedia meetups can be organized on all levels, from the very
global to the very local. As Meta becomes a more visible place in the
Wikimedia community, I'm sure we will see this multi-level approach
develop further.

Regards,

Erik