[Foundation-l] wikinews and other stuff

Robin Shannon robin.shannon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 07:20:15 UTC 2004

Okay i have just gone through all the last bajllion emails from this
list in the last couple of days when i should have been editing
[[victor chang]], but never mind.

firstly, re: wikinews, it will be released under GFDL yes? which means
that if CNN or BBC or ABC or NZBC or the guardian or even slashdot or
a blog wanted to reproduce our wikinews article, then they would have
to also reproduce the entire GFDL license (or did i read the GDFL
incorrectly), which may well be twice as long as the news article. Has
anyone else thought of this problem and come up with any solutions.
Other than this my position on wikinews is not active support, but
certainly close interest.

secondly, What the hell is the difference between wikicommons and
wikisource? They both seem to me to be depositories for pd/gfdl
primary sources.

thirdly, who's bright idea was it to make a user in wikipedia not a
user in wiktionary, metawiki, etc. (and vice versa), is it too late to
make every user a cross-wiki user, or are there already cross-overs
(for example a [[user:jondoe]] in wiktionary and a different user but
with the name [[user:jondoe]] in wikibooks?

fourthly, yes parenthisis are wonderful things. (perhaps this is in
reply to en.wikpedia list, i cant remember)

fifthly, what would wikiverstiy offer that wikibooks doesnt? i fail to
see how a wiki is capable of producing anything that a university
offers other than text books (and class notes ect.). How is it going
to be able to do dems and pracs, and class discussions?
I really want to like the idea of wikiversity, but I'm gonna need some
clarifying before ill do that.

sixthly, there is no sixthly.

paz e amor,

the bellman.