[Foundation-l] Re: Formal request: Wikinews project

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 11:41:35 UTC 2004

Tim Starling a écrit:
> I don't understand why Wikinews will have any more exposure to legal
> liability than Wikipedia. Wikipedia has been threatened with legal
> action numerous times, for example by Khalid bin Mahfouz. Wikipedia has
> many biographies of people who are only notable due to recent news
> coverage, and these biographies typically consist of facts and rumours
> originally published by the mainstream media.
>
> My point is just that if we decide to avoid Wikinews, it shouldn't be
> for legal reasons.
>
> -- Tim Starling

One difference is that any wikipedia article can be edited (corrected)
on the spot, while wikinews articles will be frozen. A side correction
does not have the same effect at all. This might be a point to look for
(like a proeminent link to the correction available in the tool bar).

Still, if the article is frozen, then reused in another media (with the
mistake), we might have troubles. Great difference with usual media,
which are not reused due to copyright.

ant