[Foundation-l] Re: Formal request: Wikinews project

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Oct 11 20:50:11 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote:

>Therefore, my proposal suggests that we DO allow this type of consensus-
>based reporting from anonymous or unaccredited sources (called "witness
>reports" in the proposal), but IN ADDITION TO IT, we also allow Wikinews
>reporters to use their reputation as currency for publishing original
>reports, and to act as relays for people who want to stay anonymous.

I certainly hope it can be done in a reasonable way, but I'm wondering
if there's been any thought as to how to differentiate this from
Indymedia?  From what I can tell, Indymedia does use bylined reporters
for many of its articles, but they still end up generally being, well,
not very neutral.  Hopefully Wikinews would end up rather more credible
than Indymedia, but how to ensure that?  I could definitely see a
potential for highly biased stories---probably not outright fabricated
ones, but certainly ones with the facts selectively reported and a large
dose of opinion thrown in.  I envision there would be some hardcore
reporter types working on the project---people who have no vested
interest in what they're reporting on, but just want information out.
But somehow it seems like it'll naturally attract more of the other sort
of people---activists who are reporting with a particular agenda in
mind.  That tends to lead to the facts being arranged to fit the
pre-held agenda, rather than the other way around...

-Mark