[Foundation-l] Formal request: Wikinews project

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Oct 10 04:21:00 UTC 2004

I hereby formally request the creation of Wikinews, in all major Wikimedia
languages, under the domain

        wikinews.org

which I have registered and pointed to Wikimedia's nameservers.

The current Wikinews proposal ist at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews

According to that proposal, we can immediately start working on Wikinews
as soon as the site is set up. Some software changes will be useful in the
long term, but are not immediately needed.

The details of the proposed policies can be worked out on the live site as
they currently are on the Wikimedia Commons. The question right now is if
there is a rough consensus to start a Wikimedia project whose goal is
* to provide summaries of external news sources
* to do original, neutral reporting around the world.

If there are no serious objections, I'd like to start ASAP.

I believe this project has the potential to be as relevant as Wikipedia,
if not more so.  I'd love it if we could prove to the world that, using
wiki principles, we can create a neutral, reliable news source for
everyone.

Regards,

Erik