[Foundation-l] Successful completion of Wikimedia's fundraising drive

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 04:59:10 UTC 2004

I am pleased to report that Wikimedia has successfully reached its
goal of $50000 in our latest fundraising drive. Over the past 14 days
we raised $51,177 thanks to hundreds of different donors across the
world.

A breakdown of the money raised can be seen at
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fund_drives/2004/Q4 which includes
links to the comments people gave when making their donations (if they
chose to make these public).

For an idea of how this might be spent, please see
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposed_order_October_2004 and for
longer term plans,
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hardware_capacity_growth_planning

Here's a sample of ten of the comments made by donors on the final day
of fundraising:

* With Wikipedia, the Internet is finally starting to realize its potential!

* I hope that this will become the greatest repository of knowledge
since the Library at Alexandria. There is a very real chance that it
will become one of humanity's greatest achievements.

* A necessary resource for the world community.

* You are providing a phenomenal resource. Please keep it going!

* I'm happy to donate to Wikipedia because I feel it is the most
valuable website on the internet. Keep up the great work!

* Thanks Wikimedia for the great sites that give me solutions to my
school work and personal life.

* Thank you Wikipedia for making the world better connected and informed.

* This is an amazing resource that I use for teaching and my own
benefit. Thanks for the great service.

* Thank you for everything you've done to help spread "the knowledge"!

* Many thanks to you all who gather the collective word--the
collective will of man, to share between ourselves for the betterment
of all. History will sing of this.

The fundraising message at [[MediaWiki:Sitenotice]] on your local wiki
can be removed by replacing the text with a hyphen (-). If the message
was not translated, it will have disappeared automatically. If the
message is protected and you have no sysops, please ask at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_permissions

Thanks again to everyone who donated, and also to the thousands of
editors who created a product worth donating to.

Angela Beesley