[Foundation-l] Re: [WikiEN-l] Wikipedia spanks Encarta, Brockhaus

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 06:56:22 UTC 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 23:15:12 -0700 (PDT), Daniel Mayer
<maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Wow! That is totally awesome! Did they compare the English versions or German
> versions of each encyclopedia (all the better if it were the German versions)?
> Reading... Oh, it does look like they looked at the German version - sweet.

It is terribly exciting... and yes, German to German.

> Two words: PRESS RELEASE!

Absolutely!    Monday wouldn't be too soon.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/PR/c't

> Seriously, once the fund drive is over we should have a press release about
> this and also mention the fact and result of our 'recent successful fund
> drive.' We should also quote Jimbo when he said that commercial encyclopedias
> will be out of business in 5 years if they keep doing as they have been.

"crushed out of existence," I love that quote...

> Working URL: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_vs_Brockhaus_and_Encarta
> Is the copyright cleared on that translation (since a translation is a

Ahh, thank you.  No, there's no copyright clearance... it may be too long
and too detailed a paraphrase to be fair use.  We should check with c't to
make sure they don't mind.

--
+sj+