[Foundation-l] Liberation

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 08:31:01 UTC 2004

http://www.liberation.fr/page.php?Article=255781

Hi everyone.

I am proud to announce that Wikipedia is featured in an article of liberation.fr, one of the major french news media (paper and web). The article is listed on liberation main page, so we can expect some good feedback (visitors) for the site. I mention it because this is our FIRST front page article in a major media, and hopefully, the first of a long list now. This is a stone for french speaking people.

There are a couple of rather inexact points in the article, but nothing problematic.
The most curious is probably that there is no link to the encyclopedia itself... I hope people will spontaneously look in google ;-)

Many thanks to Yann who made it possible in keeping in touch with the author of the article.

Aside from this point, I am yet to be connected to the real/virtual world with a phone and internet connexion.
Meanwhile, I try to organise my new home, clean the old one, and planted some rose bushes yesterday. I also highjacked an university old computer for 2 hours, it broke after 45 mn, I had to switch to an even older computer, on which the only navigator was netscape 4.5. For those who wonder, no, it is not possible to edit wikipedia with Netscape 4.5. And no, installing new software on collective computers is not allowed either.

I am currently fully realising how addictive Wikipedia can be. I try to make it easier in reading private mails (thank you for those keeping me up to date with current Wikipedia gossip, more is welcome ;-)) and updating my blog (for those who read french, please see http://anthere.shaihome.net for opinions on the political goal of Wikipedia).

I think my next thoughts will be oriented toward what French call "fracture numérique", ie, the great gap currently widening between those who have access to the net versus those who do not (or have a very limited net access). We might think about what we are *currently* doing : we are certainly improving the amount and quality of information of those who already have access to information. But we are not bringing information to those who do not really have access to information.

I miss you all :-(