[Foundation-l] Wikipedia trademark being used incorrectly

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 15:34:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:35:14 -0800 (PST), Rich Holton
<rich_holton at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there any good reason why we don't place a trade
> mark symbol (or registered trade mark, if appropriate)
> next to the word "Wikipedia" at the top of each page?
> Or somewhere?

This was suggested before - specifically, to put it in the "From
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia" message on each page - and
personally I approved of the idea. But some complained that it would
look ugly, or in one user's words "so corporate ... it makes me want
to puke." So essentially no consensus was reached, and the idea was
essentially forgotten. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Fromwikipedia#Wikipedia_Trademark

Out of interest, when clearing up naming issues like this, you might
(or might not) find it useful to point people at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/Names which clarifies [or aims to] all the
confusingly similar names that one encounters in the Wikimedia and
MediaWiki universes. (And of course, if you don't think it's clear
enough, please edit it to make it clearer!)

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]