[Foundation-l] Wikipedia trademark being used incorrectly

Rich Holton rich_holton at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 05:35:14 UTC 2004

<http://www.infoanarchy.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page>
> containing a
> > wealth of P2P and file-sharing information.
> Members of the site
> > maintain the Wikipedia. All InfoAnarchy.org needs
> is more frequent
> > news updates to make this a leading P2P news site.
>
> I've already sent an email to Slyck in a public
> relations capacity, so
> we don't need to flood them with more. However, I
> think it would be
> helpful if Erik would also contact them, since he
> runs infoAnarchy, to
> help make sure this kind of confusion doesn't get
> perpetuated. Because
> Wikipedia is easily the largest and most
> recognizable wiki, we need to
> be vigilant against people misusing the Wikipedia
> name if we intend to
> protect our trademarks.
>
> --Michael Snow

Is there any good reason why we don't place a trade
mark symbol (or registered trade mark, if appropriate)
next to the word "Wikipedia" at the top of each page?
Or somewhere? I know the symbol is not needed for the
word to be a trademark, but I think the symbol would
help reinforce to various parties that the word is
indeed a trademark.

Seems like a simple step. Can't see that it would
hurt.

-Rich Holton