[Foundation-l] Is there room for a 4th option? (Re: Single login - decision 2004)

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Fri Nov 12 19:02:49 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote:
[cut]
> The three strategies are:
[cut]

Those ideas are interesting but is there room for a other option?

I have a idea for a strategy that has some special benefits and 	of
course some drawbacks. I would like to know of my idea is feasible and
desirable.

(I think i have expressed this idea before but i do not remember the
responds)

The idea is to create the concept of a home-wiki. The user name is
expanded whit the language and name of the project.

My user name of the dutch Wikipedia is "walter".
The expanded user name would be "walter at nl.wikipedia.org".
My accounts on other wikimedia wikis can be renamed to the full user
name from my home-wiki.

When I edit on the dutch wikipedia (my home-wiki) is am known as user
"Walter".
When I go to a other Wikipedia I can login whit my full user name.
When I edit on the a other Wikipedia I am known whit the user name
"walter at nl".
When I go to a other non-Wikipedia Wikimedia project, like WikiQuote I
am know as user "walter at nl.wikipedia.org"

This the general idea.

The good part of this idea is that there are no naming conflicts. No
user will have to pick a new user name.

Also it is more fair. When you are a old user you can have a nice user
name. Like when you would have the emailadress tom at hotmail.com

But there can no other Tom besides you on all the wikis whit the central
login. The first user whit the name "Tom" on a new project must take a
user name like "Tom1978_" because the other are long taken.

Whit my idea new user on every project has a fair change to have a nice
name.

The bad part is the you have to pick a "home wiki". You have to make a
choice between all projects and languages and say, this is my wiki.
On all the other Wikis it will be clear that your a "foreigner" on that
wiki and form where you are.

I have not problem whit this and I do not think that most users would
have problems whit it. But some may have.

For those whit real problems whit it the could be provided whit a
neutral user name like "username at wikimedia.org"

--
[[w:nl:gebruiker:walter]]