[Foundation-l] Case - Sensitivity for Wiktionaries

Ronny Raschkowan wiki at kopfrechnung.de
Sat May 29 13:58:43 UTC 2004

Hello.

On the german Wiktionary [1], we have discussed about the case
sensitivity for our Wiktionary and the purpose was voted pro.

I asked TimStarling if it would be possible to convert then the de:
Wiktionary to case-sensitivity, that means to  turn the automatic
capitalisation off. He said, he wouldn't do that for only one
Wiktionary, but for all at a time.

So I went here to ask you, what you would think about an case
sensitivity for _all_ Wiktionaries. Sure, there would be a huge of
broken links, but as the Wikis are still little and only have a few
articles, it is not a big problem to repair this. Except the en:
Wiktionary, of course, as a special case, who would need long to be
converted/ to  repair the broken links.

Why all this: Most of latin languages have most words with lowercase
letters (ex.: german, french, english, ....). In the Wikipedia, it is
not a big problem to have only uppercase letters. But in a dictionary,
it is very important to have a difference between upper- and lowercase
words.

What do you think about that idea? Should it be voted on all the local
Wiktionaries? Which shouldn't be converted?

Sincerly yours,
Ronny Raschkowan
[[u:Fire]]

--