[Foundation-l] Copyright issues of wikimedia projects

Ulrich Fuchs mail at ulrich-fuchs.de
Sat May 29 12:09:45 UTC 2004

> We are setting the foundation status. The current
> status are indicating that ALL OF OUR CONTENTS
> (wikimedia projects) will be distributed under the
> gfdl license.

My two cent: Set together with some lawyers and work out another license,
which is more suitable for wikis. The GNU FDL is constantly violated when
we're translating from one wikipedia to another, copy from one article to
another and so on. The GNU FDL has a lot of issues with pictures, with that
bloody "title page"... It's a pity that we can't change the Wikipedia licence
any more. We would need something that would allow to copy more freely within
the wikis, something which is more suitable for collaborative writing.
However if the content is to be taken "outside", authors should be named as
indicated by the version history.

Uli