[Foundation-l] Re: [WikiEN-l] proposed policy change - allow *certain* CC-licensed images on Wikipedia...

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat May 29 02:59:52 UTC 2004

--- Robert Graham Merkel <robert.merkel at benambra.org> wrote:
> I wish to propose that images available under *some* of the Creative
> Commons licenses, that offer equivalent (or even more permissive) use
> than the GNU FDL, be permitted to be used in Wikipedia.
>
> The licenses are the:
>

> By-attribution license:
> * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
>
> The only requirement to use works create by this license is that you
> must give the author credit.
>

> The Attribution-ShareAlike license:
> * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

IANAL but I don't see a problem with that. Many people, such as myself, dual
license our images under both the GNU FDL and CC by-sa. And as you mention the
FDL provides for aggregate works. So if the images are free content and used as
aggregate works, then everything should be OK.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)