[Foundation-l] Re:Wikimedia Communs

Andre Engels engelsAG at t-online.de
Fri May 28 20:37:00 UTC 2004

"Erik Moeller" <erik_moeller at gmx.de> schrieb:

> Something will be made, yes, but that something may be difficult to build
> upon - in terms of content, functionality, structure, policies - and grow
> into something tremendously more useful. That is the crux of my argument.

And with a single login and uploading this suddenly will work? Don't be
ridiculous.

It will be easy to build upon. It's all there - content, functionality,
structure, policies. We cann build them now, or we can build them later.
Your proposal is to build until we have good functionality, and then start
making some content and structure. My proposal is to get all of them at
the same time and develop all.

It's NOT easier to make content from nothing than to make it from content.

We have some splendid Wiki software now, don't we? Ain't it a shame that
we already made an encyclopedia and policies for it? With this software
we would do a lot better, no? Why don't you go and start your own
Wikipedia?

> If you can convince the others (vote, consensus etc.) that we should set
> up a blank wiki now and add all the other functionality later, regardless
> of all the problems that may ensue, then I will follow along, but my
> position remains that we should properly plan and develop a basic set of
> features before publicly launching this project with great fanfare, to
> make sure that we have a solid foundation to build on, and that we get the
> greatest possible interest in the important early stage of content
> development.

I'm sick of this.

andre