[Foundation-l] Fairness

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri May 28 12:35:45 UTC 2004

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since we are talking about fairness in elections, I
> need help.
>
> I, on the other hand, think that elections are unfair
> to those who are not native english. It takes us a lot
> of time to answer questions, and it is difficult to
> write a short statement, while trying to make it sound
> and clear to anyone. Thus, I would like that a real
> english speaker edit my statement to make it appear
> good, clear, respect editorial rules, style, spelling
> and such. It also needs to be shorten (though I would
> not say of how much exactly since I thought I was
> below 500 caracters).

Sure - I just saved an edit of your statement. Revert anything you didn't like.
I did not shorten it though (that is up to the election committee).

> I would like to mention that we are trying to set a
> Foundation to help a world wide project which will be
> a real revolution, and I think fighting over a couple
> of characters in a candidacy statement is not exactly
> what I perceive as terribly interesting.

Yes - I agree.

> I would have preferred that candidates discuss with
> each other on their background, on their opinions, on
> their positions, on what they did not know, on what
> they loved in the project. It would be more
> constructive to do that, and it would have given more
> opportunity for participants from all projects to get
> to know the candidates better.

Each candidate should do this. You in fact discovered a flaw in the template
and you filled it in a logical way. That is why I copied your idea - I thought
it was neat.

> I also think comparisons of positions, and
> consequently opportunity to have two candidates
> working together as beneficial or destructive would
> have been more easily perceived upon reading
> discussions between candidates, than reading about
> little fights upon the fairness of representativity.
> Complaining over the fairness of 10 characters when
> half of the candidates can not technically provide a
> fully professional candidacy statement is ridiculous.

Some organized debates would have been nice. Unfortunately it is probably too
late to allow a few days for that. I think it is odd that the day after the
candidates have to say they were running is the same day that people can start
to vote.

> If the validity of my candidacy is impaired by the
> length of my statement, and by adding a short
> description of my contributions while it was written
> nowhere it was forbidden, then I think I am not
> interested in being a candidate anymore, and you may
> strike my name Danny. I am not here to play
> seek-and-hide game.

Please don't do that Anthere - a great many people respect you and will vote
for you (myself included on both counts). Their voice needs to be heard.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)