[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimedia Communs

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 19:48:20 UTC 2004

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Et j'emploierai Google ou BabelFish trop quand un
> > wikipédien chinois, russe, ou
> > japonais écrit en leur propre langue sur cette
> > liste.
> >
> > I hope nothing was lost in
> > http://translate.google.com/translate_t
> >
> > --mav
>
> That was perfect Mav :-)

Thanks - but all the credit should go to Google translator (which does a great
job). Perhaps including a link to Google translator or BableFish on non-English
posts will solve this problem. Then people can feel more comfortable posting in
their native language and others will still be able to understand them.

> By the way, was not there an old project aiming at
> translation at least 2 years ago ?

Yep
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Machine_Translation_Project

Although the wiki is not available right now...

Machine translation has come a long way since that idea was first put forward
for Wikipedia. We may want to look at the idea again. A special:translate
function might be a nice tool to have - that way humans would control the
process on an article by article basis (correcting any errors that result).

If done correctly, the result should be no worse than copyedited and
error-checked EB 1911-derived articles (many of which are pretty good).

-- mav