[Foundation-l] Project Proposal: GlobalFamilyTree

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Mon May 24 10:27:41 UTC 2004

Quoting Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com>:
> I've already proposed that at http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimorial .
>
> The idea is to simply expand the focus of the the Sep11wiki (which is a
> rather
> lonely place).
>
> The only major stumbling block was the name - some people didn't like
> 'Wikimorial'. Other ideas were:
> *Wikimedia Memorial (generic and boring, IMO),
> *Wikipeople (I liked this one so I bought the domain names),
> *Wikifamily (another one I liked - although in the U.S. right-wing Christian
> fundamentalists have co-opted the word "family").

Well, I guess I missed that one. It sounds like our end goal is the same, but
for different reasons. Your description and name (Wikimorial) implies a
memorial/obituary/mourning project, more than a living global genealogy. But
perhaps this is not the case?

What I had in mind was a living genealogy reference, not so much memorializing
the past, but serving as a reference guide to those curious about their
ancestors. This goal wouldn't require a ban on content for the living, either
(I'd be interested in looking up my uncle and seeing "So-and-so is a consultant
for Whatchamathingy Inc.).

But I agree that these projects can be merged without too much lost. As for the
name, I like "Wikipeople", "GlobalFamilyTree", "Wikialogy"(?), "Ancestors"(?).

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster  [Ballsome.com]

E-mail     [jjk3 at msstate.edu]