[Foundation-l] Cafepress alternatives?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat May 15 18:52:33 UTC 2004

Anthere wrote:

>Are they gonna be sold ? If they are, how much ? Why
>sold ? Do you consider they are only instrument of
>promotion, or knowledge distribution as well ? Were
>the 3000 dollars  definitly given to support
>WikiReaders, or are they a help to be reinbursed while
>the WikiReaders are sold ?

If I read Jimbo's announcement about it correctly, the $3000 is
basically a loan, intended to finance the initial print run, and
Wikimedia will make a certain portion of the profits on each sale to
recover the $3000.  In case profits are less than $3000, Jimbo's
personally guaranteed he'll make up any difference, so it's no risk to
the foundation's money (I believe he did this precisely for the reasons
you mentioned, that this isn't something we've yet decided the
foundation should spend its money on).

-Mark