[Foundation-l] Cafepress alternatives?

Thomas R. Koll tomk32 at gmx.de
Sat May 15 08:07:40 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 03:08:00AM -0700, Daniel Mayer wrote:
> --- "Thomas R. Koll" <tomk32 at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 05:01:00AM +0200, Erik Moeller wrote:
> > For the WikiReaders I'm currently setting up a webshop. I'm still
> > working at it, implementing a multi-seller function.
> > The idea is that everybody can sell printings, CD/DVDs or
> > merchandise stuff on the site. For the sellers the biggest
> > advantage is the central marekt and for the customer cheaper
> > shipping is a big advantage (I neither live in CafePress country
> > nor do I have a credit card).
>
> Sounds neat. The fact that CafePress only accepts US dollars and is only in
> English is a big drawback. On top of that, they are pretty darn expensive.
>
> > Maybe it's a good time to start discussions about an official
> > Wikimedia shop. Comments?
>
> I don't know since that would require us to have storage space, a distribution
> system, a secure server to handle credit cards, and a staff to fill and send
> out orders and deal with problems. Unfortunately CafePress has very little
> competition and what little does exist has many of the same problems CafePress
> does.

Damn, we're building the biggest encycopedia in the world. We can do such
a little shop ourself.

Except a few we could have external sellers in our shop, for me storage
is no problem or costs, the 1000 WikiReaders won't take much space anyways.
I hope that the devs can setup a secure server, can they?
Here in Germany credit cards are quite unpopular, bank transfer is still
number one and if I have to print another 1k copies of the WikiReader
they might be sent out on bill/account and not on advanced payment.

ciao, tom

--
== Weblinks ==
* http://www.tomk32.de - just a geek trying to change the world