[Foundation-l] Re:Information

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Wed May 5 02:18:00 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller schrieb:

> I made this edit to reflect plans to fund a printed "WikiReader" (a
> compilation of selected articles on a topic) from foundation money.

I'm not sure what "to fund" means, but I think the money will just be
lend to TomK32 who assumes the full risk. The Foundation woun't be
acting as publisher.

> These WikiReaders are an invention of the German Wikipedians,

At least of some of them :-)

> and Jimbo and
> TomK32 have been in discussions to fund such a reader (on the subject
> "Internet"), primarily for the Wizards of OS conference in June. The last
> result of these discussions was that this was pretty firmly planned, but
> Jimbo obviously hasn't announced it yet.

I have started a discussion on wikiDE-l if the WikiReader shall be
presented to the public as an official product of the Wikipedia
community (with or without a big warning label that it might contain
errors), or just as a product of some people (who happen to be Wikipedians).

I'm very much in favour of the second option, because the review
procedures don't suffice my standards for a print edition. I fear that
we might be gambling with our name here. But there doesn't seem to be a
consensus about this jet.

Another interresting question is how much the demand will be for the
WikiReaders. I'm also skeptic here, but on the other hand there are
always people who are skeptic, it's better you don't listen to them and
just give it a try ;-)

Kurt

--
  http://leihnetzwerk.de -- Teile Bücher, Videos und CDs mit anderen!