[Foundation-l] Re: Registering Wikimedia trademarks

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Mon May 3 18:03:02 UTC 2004

Michael Snow wrote in part:

>Anyway, this prompted me to look up whether Pepsi has actually filed
>"light, crisp, and refreshing". Well, they have, but only as part of the
>Diet Pepsi logo, and in this filing they disclaimed any exclusive right
>to use "light", "crisp", or "refreshing" aside from the logo. I don't
>think Pepsi would have a good argument, because when I read the phrase,
>I don't immediately think of Diet Pepsi. But Pepsi does have a
>registered trademark for "SO LIGHT. SO CRISP. SO REFRESHING."

Interesting.  I just looked at the bottle to get a working example,
and I assumed that the "TM" referred to the phrase that it was next to;
when in fact it looks like it was intended to refer to the entire logo.
I'm not sure what that tells us ... that companies can be misleading
about what claims they're making?

-- Toby