[Foundation-l] Copyright issues of wikimedia projects

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon May 31 01:15:51 UTC 2004

--- Andre Engels <engelsAG at t-online.de> wrote:
> > I'm advocating the full use of the word free (no cost and copyleft).
>
> Then you have a strange meaning of 'free'.

It is just the foundation upon which the free software movement is based. It is
also the meaning we have been operating on since day one. We in fact make our
content more free by not allowing invariant sections.

> "You may do with it what you want, provided you mention my name" is
> more free than "You may do with it what you want, provided you mention
> my name and give others the same rights and obligations".

The second ensures the freedom of the content from proprietary control. Thus it
creates a disincentive to fork the content, or at least creates the ability the
backport improvements to the original (or any derivative work, for that
matter).

If we are serious about leading a revolution in how content is distributed and
controlled, then we must continue using the full sense of the word 'free'
(gratis and libre). Negative feedback loops will not get us there.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)