[Foundation-l] Re: Finances

Richard Gallagher richie_a76 at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Jun 25 09:22:33 UTC 2004

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote: >
> > What exactly are you suggesting?  That Maveric149
> > should be the treasurer or he should be some sort
> of
> > financial clerk?
>
> No. The treasurer is a board position. But the board
> is empowered to
> delegate activity to identified persons or to
> committees.
> Mav would be financial officer, and report to the
> Board.

That clears it up a bit.  Your original message did
not go into much detail as to what exactly the role
was.  Personally I didn't see that there would be much
financial work to do.  So it did seem to me to be a
bit redunant have both a treasurer and a financial
officer.

But then again I am not familiar with intimate details
of the foundations financial dealings. Would you be
able to further describe this financial officer role
and how it differs treasurer?

> > I believe it is important to get a set accounts
> drawn
> > including a balance sheet and statement of income
> and
> > expenditure.  Then have them audited by a
> chartered
> > accountant.  Because often when applying for
> grants
> > they will request an audited set of accounts.
>
> Might you explain what you are thinking of, when you
> mention "a
> chartered accountant" ?

A chartered accountant is an accountant who is a
member of institute of accountants for their country.
Seeing as Wikimedia is US based I probably should have
used the US equivalent term which is certified
accountant.  The thing is anyone can call themselves
an accountant, while to call yourself a
chartered/certified accountant you have to have passed
some exams and have a certain amount of work
experience.

> In all cases, I invite you to consult my user page
> on meta.
> http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Anthere.
> It hosts a collection of links which might be of
> interest to you.
> In particular, do not forget to check out
> http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grants.

Will do.

Richard (aka popsracer)

http://au.movies.yahoo.com