[Foundation-l] Finances

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 07:40:48 UTC 2004

--- Andrew Lih <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote:
> In either case, Mav has been enthusiastic, knowledgable and
> responsible in the role, and something that he has given his time to.

Thanks. :)

> We would all do well to have him oversee financial matters however the
> community or the Board decide that role should be defined.

Ant already answered how but I'll add this bit: A financial officer will be
responsible for making detailed reports and presenting summaries at board
meetings while the board treasurer will be responsible for overseeing the
financial officer and for spearheading financial policy. If appointed by the
board, I will accept this position.

Also, IMO, any appointed officer should be confirmed by an up or down vote of
the membership (either within a certain amount of time from the appointment or
at the next quarterly meeting of the foundation). But work can begin as soon as
the appointment is made (just as executive appointments work in the real
world).

In a sense Jimbo has already appointed me for this role by obtaining all the
info he needed to do a background check on me and later sending me a bunch of
Wikimedia's bank statements and asking me to draft a budget. But a formal
appointment and a confirmation vote is still needed.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)