[Foundation-l] Finances

Richard Gallagher richie_a76 at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Jun 25 03:32:01 UTC 2004

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote: > Hello dear
all,

> Regardless of the way we decide to spent money, we
> have some in bank. It comes in. It comes out.
> So, we need some people to take care of financial
> issues.
>
> Mav has renewed his interest in taking care of this
> after the elections. Angela and I are favorable to
> this. I will not speak up for Jimbo... as he is on
> holidays :-)
> Mav has been taking care of Wikimedia accounting for
> several months as far as I can remember. I did not
> hear there were any problems. He also is interested
> in working on the budget.

What exactly are you suggesting?  That Maveric149
should be the treasurer or he should be some sort of
financial clerk?

If the former, then I believe the treasurer should be
a member on the Board of Trustees.  This fits in with
the foundation bylaws as they currently stand (
http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/bylaws.pdf ).
Having a treasurer that was not on the board would be
unusual.  If none of the current five board of
trustees want to be the treasurer then I suggest that
steps should be taken to get someone on to the board
who does.

If the later, then I believe the the foundation is not
big enough to warrant a clerk as well as a treasurer.
And the treasurer should handle the bulk of financial
dealings.

> Other people might be interested as well to
> participate in financial issues. In particular, the
> perspective of a professionnal on legal issues or on
> accounting would be most welcome. I think we should
> thrive to have teams as much as possible, and people
> with various perspectives, as it is more productive
> and usually more successful. A group of 3-5 people
> would be neat :-)
>
> So, if someone is interested in being part of the
> financial committee, please speak up :-)
>
> Criticism and/or nomination may be public or
> private.

I will put my hand up for such a committee.

I believe it is important to get a set accounts drawn
including a balance sheet and statement of income and
expenditure.  Then have them audited by a chartered
accountant.  Because often when applying for grants
they will request an audited set of accounts.

Richard (aka Popsracer)

http://au.movies.yahoo.com