[Foundation-l] Take, for example, the issues of dues

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 23:35:56 UTC 2004

And ... Mark went on...went on... went on...

Take, for example, the issue of dues.  One way to
decide it is to have the board debate amongst
themselves (either online or in person), solicit input
from users, and then make a decision on what level to
set the dues at.  Another possibility is to have a
wiki-style discussion it, possibly on meta (I'm
willing to use meta over mailing lists if that's the
preference of most other people).  If a consensus
emerges, then we set the dues at the consensus amount.
 If there are strong disagreements, then we can
identify a few of the leading choices and hold a vote.
 Given that we already have voting software that has
been used successfully, this is fairly easy to do.

I don't see any particular reason to favor the
top-down decision-making process, especially given how
alien it is to the way we (not to mention just about
all others wikis) have been doing things to date,
which has been rather successful in most respects.

------

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2004-June/000406.html

Watch-out : this was a sollication for input

With this mail, on this mailing list, a week ago, I
announced a brainstorming page about dues. I also
announced it on the goings-on :
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goings-on

The page in question is here. It is public and non
protected. You can *edit* it :
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Membership_fees

I had no feedback on the mailing list. I had a bit of
feedback on the wiki itself. I had some good feedback
from french discussion. I discussed it in length last
week end on irc (a very cheap discussion medium, neat
when wiki is broken, and very useful for live
discussion). This occured on the english channel and
the foundation channel, most of saturday and sunday.

I also had a couple of private exchanges by mails on
the topic.

I also made additional suggestions 2 days ago on the
foundation mailing list. Suggestion for which I had
*no* comment whatsover.

I contacted Michael for his input, and asked him if he
was willing to participate, for I think he can really
help on this. Michael was on holidays, and just came
back. He indicated he would come and see. I am waiting
for his feedback.

I had a short exchange a few hours ago with Arne, from
the german chapter as well. We planned to discuss this
again (this evening if possible, but we missed each
other).

With the initial feed back I had, I started writing
down some points today, during my lunch time.

Tomos also started posting a resume of our discussion
this week :
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interorganizational_relations_among_chapters

Signature :
The one thing I can say : the one who does nothing but
just whines that decisions are taken without him or
*could* PERHAPS be taken without him, is responsible
of that situation.

Wikipedia is just this : it gives you the ability to
act yourself, this is so great, so take that chance