[Foundation-l] Bounties and expenses

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Jun 22 22:29:21 UTC 2004

Anthere wrote:

> Delirium wrote:
>
>> I disagree with this---meeting with a tiny fraction of the Wikimedia
>> community and making decisions at such meetings is detrimental to the
>> project.  Real work and decision-making should be done online, in
>> public, where everyone can participate.  If people want to socialize
>> in person, that's fine, but we shouldn't be making decisions at
>> meetings either behind closed doors or at which only a small fraction
>> of Wikimedians are present.
>

> I think you may have not understood what a board exactly is.

I know what a board is, but I disagree that we should have one running
significant parts of Wikimedia projects.  Hierarchical top-down control
is the exact opposite of the wiki way of doing things.

We do of course need a board for legal reasons, and the board may need
to make some decisions.  But it should not be running the project, and
when it does make decisions, it should do so as openly and publicly as
possible, in consultation with the normal consensus-based method of
decision-making we use.

-Mark