[Foundation-l] Bounties and expenses

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 09:17:03 UTC 2004

Mark,

It's clear your objections run deep -- you seem have a standing
problem with the entire idea of a board of trustees that is, well,
trusted with the interests of the Wikimedia Foundation. This can be
seen also in your strong bias and mistrust concerning the governance
of nonprofits.  If this is so, your issues are not with the
particulars of how we are going about things, but of an entire concept
of the board.

However, this community has decided to go ahead with the board, so
that designated individuals can spend more time on issues that need
it.  This includes fundraising and building links among the different
wikis, which have both been our weak spot.  Your characterization of
these meetings as "perks" that happen "behind closed doors" is
misleading and disingenuous.  No one has suggested anything of the
sort, and Wikipedians should have every confidence that things will be
open and inclusive.

You've cited H.Cheney's comment, while conveniently leaving out
others' (including my own) positive experiences in working with
nonprofits and the benefits of face to face meetings for this type of
collaboration. The use of "social and networking events" as a
pejorative is odd considering Wikipedia is one of the largest social
software systems and collaborative projects in the world.

-Andrew Lih (User:Fuzheado)