[Foundation-l] Funding for the newly elected Board Members

hcheney hdcheney at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 19:38:58 UTC 2004

I would like to thank Angela and Florence for serving
on the board. Being elected trustees, a sort of hybrid
between trustee and politician, they will experience
the worst of both worlds. Having been on a governing
board of a non-profit myself, I understand that
building consensus among the users, contributors,
donors, and other trustee will be a very challenging
task.

Before I mention "weekly trips to Florida", I would
ask that readers take my comments with a grain of salt
because I am a notorious tight wad. I am reminded of
this daily because my wife does not appreciate my
energy conservation during the Florida summers.

If Angela did go to Paris for a "trustee meeting" it
would be an invalid trustee meeting unless one of the
trustees, or the computer hosting the meeting, were in
the State of Florida.

I feel administration costs should be kept to a
minimum, hopefully less than 2% of revenue. At the
present time the Wikimedia Foundation has a pressing
need for new hardware and improved software. I also
feel it is very unfair that Bomis is continuing to
give the bandwidth to Wikimedia, and I hope that
Wikimedia will be able to lift this part of this
burden soon.

Though I feel it is important for board members to
meet in person, I feel it is much more important for
other issues to be addressed and funded.

I hope that the Board of Trustees will stick to the
"meat and potatoes" of non-profit governance: auditing
financials, appointing the chief administrator
(Jimbo),  setting very broad goals, promoting the
organization, and raising money. In reality, most
non-profits boards serve as a vehicle for socializing
- which is great fun - but should not be at the
expense of the foundation (in fact, I would hope that
maybe someday there could be an International
Convention of Wikimedians with the proceeds benefiting
the foundation). Just about everything that can be
discussed in person, can be conveyed by e-mail.

Until the foundation has the financial strength to
support growth and operating expenses independently, I
feel trustee expenses should be kept to an absolute
minimum. Maybe it was a little bit too early in the
foundation's history to have elected trustees.
However, trustees should be prudently funded in their
attempts to secure further donations and grants. In so
far as reporters and the such, most reporters will
call you or come to you.

I am troubled that this controversy will further
encourage the fragmentation of the Wikimedia movement
into nationalist or linguistic factions (such as the
German society), making it all the harder for the
foundation to obtain vital general funds among a sea
of grants.

Once again, I would like to thank all of the trustee
for their work.

H. Cheney