[Foundation-l] Re: Funding for the newly elected Board Members

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 16:03:47 UTC 2004

> Delirium said:
> So, I'd say funding for such niceties as face-to-face board meetings
> should take place only after the developers have the money they need,
> which may include hiring additional developers for specific areas in
> which we have no sufficiently knowledgeable volunteers, or at least
> putting in place a bounty system to attract some semi-paid developers.
> I could easily see EUR1000-2000 in the immediate future being very
> desirable for this purpose.

Delirum, we've spent a *lot* more money and resources on software
development and server hardware than we have on planning and strategy
for fundraising, which would immediately benefit if we got Jimbo, Ant
and Ang together.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ang in person in London and she had
great ideas and energy about fundraising in areas we are currently
neglecting.  I also enjoyed a long lunch with Jimbo the day after the
London get together, and we exchanged ideas and thoughts about
Wikimedia in ways we never could have by email.  I can only imagine
the great synergy that will arise to get the board members in the same
room.

Virtual collaboration is wonderful. It's what makes Wikipedia so
great.  But you also need face to face contact for folks who are
putting in so much time and effort to work with Wikimedia's future.
We should not be so stingy about investing in our human capital.

-Andrew Lih (User:Fuzheado)