[Foundation-l] Re: International Wikimedia structure

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Mon Jun 21 11:44:44 UTC 2004

Hi all,

First thanks Anthere for your input on this.

Le Monday 21 June 2004 13:02, Anthere a écrit :

> akl : * There should be as clear as possible a separation between projects
> and chapters because all projects are international and should remain
> widely self-determined.
>
> ant : I agree. Chapters are here essentially for legal practicability. If
> this was not true, the current chapters would not be currently created in
> those two countries where some of the major wikipedia languages are spoken
> :-) But legal limits are national, not per language.
>
> akl : * Chapters should not primarily spend their money for projects in a
> certain language but on all projects, as far as legally possible.
>
> ant : I also agree. For two reasons. First we share a lot in common and we
> all have to participate to fund this common asset. If a local chapter
> raises money using the name of Wikimedia, then it should also participate
> the global Wikimedia operating costs. Not *only* on meeting cakes and
> promotional tee-shirts. Since money was raised in using the Wikimedia name,
> it also should help those places who do not have money income, so as to
> help distribution of knowledge in other places.

I agree that, for example, money raise in France should be used to help the
project as a whole.

> Incidently, in most poor nations, several languages are used, so it will
> make sense to publish in more than 1 language. Still, I doubt these
> countries will have chapters on their own before a long time. This is a
> global project. Do we want to help information get there ?
>
> akl * There should be no sub-chapters on national level (i.e. Wikimedia
> Austria as a sub-chapter of Wikimedia Germany). Each national chapter
> should be directly assigned to the Foundation. Exceptions could be
> meaningful for regional chapters, which could be subordinated to the
> national chapters.

First I think that it is the local people who should decide how they will be
assigned to the foundation. I can imagine that, at some later date, some
people from Arkansas, or Scotland, or Auvergne, or Baden-Württemberg, or ...,
would like to create an organisation to promote Wikimedia projects to their
local school / library / whatever, and it should be their decision to do so
or not.

> Ant : I very strongly agree. Which is why I would be deeply unhappy that we
> call our local chapter "francophone". This is an attempt of fairness that
> is uncalled for. I know that some people support this, because they want to
> make it clear that the french chapter will not help France only. I think
> this is perfectly obvious that we should try to be more global in our
> participation.

I see a contradiction here. It's especially *because* this chapter is not for
France only that it should be called "francophone", and not Wikimedia France.
There are already people from Belgium and Switzerland who want to work within
this chapter. And they rightfully object that this chapter is called
Wikimedia France. Which doesn't mean that, at a later date, people from
Switzerland or Belgium, could not create a local chapter in those places.
Then these local chapters will have to decide how they want to be assigned to
the foundation.

> However, calling us francophone is bad. The next chapter in a french
> speaking country will likely be called by the country name, and I sure hope
> that it will not be submitted to the french chapter. We all wish here for
> equality, and I really see not why France will be once again, declared the
> official center of Francophonie. Wikimedia France has the merit of being
> descriptive.
>
> It seems to me that any other name is bringing confusion.

I think we have the same objectives. But Wikimedia France is not an adequate
name, because, for the forseable future, this chapter will not be acting only
in France.

Best wishes,
Yann
--