[Foundation-l] New User privileges

Denni dwindrim at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 21 04:27:01 UTC 2004

While there is little we can do to stop out-and-out vandalism by
experienced users, I believe we could ease the load on those dealing
with new submissions if we could deal with the problems new users cause.
Some of these are deliberate - joke pages or edits without knowing what
they are doing, but many are just the result of that bumbling about in
the dark I'm sure we all felt when we first arrived. I'm also firmly of
the opinion that problem pages are created for the most part by newbies.

I would propose something a little less stringent than what Corey Burger
offers, contingent on the assumption that it is possible to track and
sequester articles.

New users and anons would be allowed to edit and create articles
immediately. These would be flagged and moved into an anon/new user list
similar to New Articles. After one week, new users would be de-flagged
and would be allowed to move pages. I also feel anons can be
accommodated - if an IP address remains consistent and no bad behavior
is evidenced from it, I think we should assume the best. Encourage them
to become registered users, yes, but don't penalize them for not doing
so.

Denni

Visit my Wikipedia user page at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User%3ADwindrim