[Foundation-l] Funding for the newly elected Board Members

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Jun 21 00:39:53 UTC 2004

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

> I know that the Wikimedia is currently strapped for cash. However, I
> would like to propose that we cover certain key expenses for our
> elected board members relating to their participation in Wikimedia
> work. For instance, telephone calls overseas should be covered by the
> Foundation, and not the elected representatives. A broadband
> connection should be covered by the Foundation as well.
>
> While every participant is doing their work on Wikipedia and the other
> projects voluntarily, Ant and Angela are expected to represent us, the
> users. We should make it as easy for them as possible.

I wouldn't consider this a high priority---certainly far below buying
servers, which we already don't have enough money to buy.  Unless we
find ourselves in a situation where we have so much cash we don't have
any place it could better be spent, I think a better approach would be
to simply use email to communicate like everyone else does.  As for
internet connections, I assume anyone involved in the project already
has one (how else would they be Wikipedians, given that this is
primarily an internet-based project?).

-Mark