[Foundation-l] Copyright issues of wikimedia projects

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 23:53:03 UTC 2004

--- Toby Bartels <toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu> wrote:
> If the incompatibility (in that direction) with CC-by-sa is fixed,
> then any incompatibility with CC-by will also be fixed;
> I don't see why you brought this up.

So that any modifications made to a CC-by-sa Wikinews article (or a FDL
version) could all be re-incorporated back into Wikinews. Under the dual
license scheme content could flow from Wikinews to any Wikimedia project via
the FDL and from Wikinews to newspapers via the CC-by-sa, but not in the
reverse direction. If the CC-by-sa and FDL were compatible, then that could
happen and we could make things simple by publishing all Wikimedia content
under the CC-by-sa.

> >How would that work if content is under the CC-by? The AP could get Wikinews
> >content as soon as it is published and add improvements, thus making a
> >proprietary derivative work right away. Then only the AP could grant
> >distribution rights to the superior version.
>
> That's a good point, although the AP is likely to be even more prejudiced
> against our material.  That said, after a few years, then they would catch
> on.
> So you're right, this will be the same problem as we have today
> when Microsoft incorporates BSD code into Windows.
>
> Thus, anybody proposing CC-by for WikiNews now has a harder case to make. ^_^

Good example, although I wasn't aware of that MS factoid.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)