[Foundation-l] Copyright issues of wikimedia projects

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Jun 7 07:18:21 UTC 2004

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>Yes copyleft is what I was talking about. And for me it is a central part of
>what free content is. That's one of the reasons why I want to help create a GNU
>Free Content License. The FDL doesn't mention *content* as you rightly state -
>that is something that needs to be fixed.

I don't think it is something that needs to be "fixed".  It's very
deliberately left out, because the FSF, as detailed on their website
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Content) does not
believe even using the word "content" fits with their goals, and would
prefer its use died out entirely.  If there were a "GNU Free Content
License", *that* would be something that needed to be fixed.

I certainly don't see Wikimedia as producing "content".

-Mark