[Foundation-l] License dangers

Mark Horner marknewlyn at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 18:44:28 UTC 2004

Hi

I am new to your list and browsed the archives briefly. I have a concern
related to the FDL. A little background first - I started a project (
http://www.nongnu.org/fhsst ) to do something similar to wikibooks but
not quite as general. We think we'll just upload our books into
wikibooks when we are done.

We decided that in FDL spirit we'd use content from wikipedia and
wikibooks to kickstart some sections etc. One of our members raised the
concern that wikipedia content isn't screened to ensure that the
contributor holds the copyright and may therefore add it to wikipedia
and transfer copyright license to the FDL.

I guess that wikipedia could just remove content that is queried by
someone who claims to have the copyright. Is this what you plan to do
if such a problem arises? I realise that it is clear what license you
are using etc. but who takes the fall if some commits something they
don't hold the copyright to?

Our real concern is that we want to actually print books and raising
money is hard enough. We don't want to risk printing the books again if
something came up. (The quick answer is to write everything ourselves
but thats also the slowest answer and we'd like to act as decisively as
possible too.)

Have all these sorts of issues been resolved for wikipedia?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Horner

Jabber/AIM/Yahoo:   marknewlyn

Co-author:
http://www.nongnu.org/fhsst
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/fhsst

Windows 9x, NT & 2K is a 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16
bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.