[Foundation-l] Copyright issues of wikimedia projects

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 17:32:14 UTC 2004

--- Toby Bartels <toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu> wrote:
> >Yes, but that deals with the freedom of your use, not the freedom of the
> >content
>
> The ''only'' issue in the freedom of content
> is the freedom of people to ''use'' that content.
> It may well be that this limitation on freedom is justified,
> given the substandard world of incompatible licences
> (and the even more fundamentally substandard world
> where proprietary control is possible at all),
> but we're only deluding ourselves if we pretend
> that it's not any limitation on freedom whatsoever.

I disagree and maintain that the expression of knowledge in content almost has
a 'life' (metaphorically speaking) of its own and deserves to be free from
proprietary control. If derivative works are not ensured freedom from
proprietary control, then there is much less of a positive feedback loop
improving that content.

Much of our effort would be used to feed a black hole instead of being
continually reused and expanded.

>  I don't know if that problem is significant,
> and we certainly don't have to decide Wikinews now.
> But remember why this conversation started (this time):
> the Wikimedia Foundation is supposed to have a policy
> requiring that Wikimedia works be covered by a "free" licence
> "like the GNU FDL".  We need to decide what "free" means here.
> And the last thing that you've said about that in this thread
> is that you want to use "free" in the nonstandard sense

The GNU FDL is copyleft, so IMO anything 'like it' must also be copyleft (such
as the CC by-sa).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)