[Foundation-l] Membership fees proposal

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jul 30 21:03:20 UTC 2004

Angela_ wrote:

>mav wrote:
>

>>Going up each level should also mean the person gets more wampum (shirts, mugs,
>>etc)....
>>

>This would require a change in the bylaws. Currently the only
>difference allowed between Volunteer Active members (who don't pay at
>all) and Contributing Active members is the entitlement to vote for
>the Contributing Member Representative in the next elections.

I don't think that this is accurate.  While specifying different voting
rights is a normal element in by-laws, making that an exclusive right
would be unusual.  If Mav's idea were to go ahead, I'm sure that we
could easily find ways around that kind of restrictions.  The proposal
distinguishes between levels of payment rather than whether or not there
should be a payment.

Ec